Smart Travel Tips
Going on vacation is supposed to be relaxing. So why is it so stressful? From packing to security lines, travel is riddled with pitfalls and headaches. If you’re heading out on a weekend getaway, take advantage of these tips and tricks to help you travel smart.
- Roll your clothes to save space in your suitcase. You can also roll up the clothes with garbage bags to help prevent wrinkles.
- Pack your shoes in a shower cap to keep them from getting everything else dirty.
- Thread necklaces through a drinking straw to keep them from getting tangled.
- Put a dryer sheet in your suitcase so your clothes smell fresh upon arrival.
- Pack a plastic shopping bag or two to stash dirty clothes.
- Leave room in your suitcase. If you pack it too tight on the way there, it’ll be that much harder to pack it on the way home (and you won’t be able to make room for any souvenirs!)
- Scan and email yourself a copy of your passport, ID, and travel documents.
- Book directly with a hotel or airline to cut out the middleman—and eliminate “convenience” fees.
- If you’re checking luggage, take a photo of your bag (so you can show it to airline representatives and describe it if it gets lost) and, if you have the chance before the check-in agent tosses it on the conveyor belt, take a close-up shot of the airline tag so you can prove that it was intended to be routed to the correct place.
- Take advantage of your hosts’ knowledge. If you’re staying at a hotel, don’t be afraid to ask hotel representatives for advice on local restaurants or activities. They’re experts!